Monday, June 11, 2012

the hike begins!

This morning, I woke up at 6:00 to drive my husband and his best friend from middle school out to the end of I-66. They've wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail since they were little, and life circumstances have generously allowed both of them ten days free to hike their first segment.

I dropped them off at Chester Gap, and they hope to make it to the Maryland-Pennsylvania border by the 21st. I'm not looking forward to being sans husband for ten days - despite his being a major distraction from establishing any kind of research schedule in the last week - so I plan to meet them for dinner at their halfway stop in Harpers Ferry.

Here's how I left them today - clean and smiling. Let's see what the next week brings.

I'm going to burn those camo shorts when he gets home.

2 comments:

  1. No socks? I saw a guy on the One Day Hike that had blisters extending from his toes to his heel, and half way up to his ankle. On both feet. I hope hubby doesn't experience the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has special two-layer ankle socks on under his boots. I kept telling him he'd get blisters on his ankles, but he's been wearing them in for a month now, and says he's fine. But he still took moleskin just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete