Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I heart the Constitution

Weeks like the last two make me very happy that the United States is governed by a constitution and not public opinion polls. I don't care if Dzokhar Tsarnaev was born on the moon; he is a citizen of this country and deserves the same right to a fair trial as every other citizen, regardless of where he was born, or how/if he worships, or the accusations he faces. I also don't care if 700% of Americans support even stricter gun control laws than the ones we have now; barring the (highly improbable) repeal of the Second Amendment, there is a constitution that says they're wrong. Thank you, Republicans in Congress, for the first reasonable thing you've done since that time you voted against re-upping the Patriot Act. And shame on you, anti-gun activists and NRA blowhards, for all of your self-serving fear mongering.

I'm not ever a huge fan of taking citizens' rights away, but I'm especially uneasy when these actions are motivated by ill-conceived, reactionary impulses. Laws are supposed to ensure rights, not strip them.

No comments:

Post a Comment