Monday, July 22, 2013

sayonara Facebook, hello blog?

I recently disabled my Facebook account. All of the Trayvon Martin hate started bleeding together with photos of my friends and family having awesome times together without inviting me, and it made my heart ache. I'd like to be more attentive to this blog, but lately, I'm struggling with:

  • A. the longer format, since I've become a pro at the short soundbites and re-posts of Facebook; 
  • B. what I suspect is likely an extended bout with depression; and 
  • C. how to blog authentically about my life without talking at great length about being bone-crushingly glum, since the Internet lasts forever and I'd prefer not to be defined as some kind of unstable sadpants.


Fortunately, stopping the steady stream of trivial updates that is the Book of Faces has forced me to actually reach out to people. Remember how telephones used to be for calling people, and not just texting, Tweeting and liking at them? I've been doing that, and it turns out that ish is dope. And the people who respond - who call back, and email, and send photos - have to actively seek me out, not just stumble across something I've said on their news feed. My original goal was to go for one month without logging on, but now I can see it being a long-term lifestyle change. Plus, our air conditioning is broken, and who wants to sit around in the heat on a laptop when you can be over at someone else's house with AC?

But anyway. I'm going to try to ratchet it up. But tomorrow, though. I've gotta hit the hay. Big day of being a thirty year old intern in front of me tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I can't disable my FB account because all the family units are there... but I sure don't spend much time on FB anymore.

    I gotta say that I miss your blog posts and have been wishing that you would resume. I felt a more intimate and warmer connection with you that FB gets in the way of providing and feel you tend to be a lot more thoughtful and less reactive when you ruminate via the blog. Besides, this is where all the kewl kids are.

    Two recommendations if you do follow through (DO IT!!! DO IT!!!)...

    - Ditch Blogger and go with a free Wordpress account instead.

    - Get in the habit of doing something once per day. It can be a thought, a poem, a photo, a rant, whatever... just do it. If you want ideas, inspiration, or someone to talk to, you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete